Thursday, July 7, 2011

I Needed A Change

A couple of days ago I could feel the quilt tops pile getting bigger and bigger. My Dad bought me a Juki last year so I figured I would oil that baby up and jump right in. The last time I tried to use it the tension wasn't right, so I have been a little reluctant to jump back in again. Yesterday when I sat down to test the tension it was beautiful. I decided to quilt my Jolt banner piece that I started 3 years ago. I am still working on it but I have a question. 


Question  When quilting a piece like this, do I use a rust colored and purple thread in areas that aren't black and white? 









I don't have very much experience quilting but it sure is fun when the tension is right. I am also working on the Kona solids challenge due this month at the MQG meeting. I need to make a final decision for my Block Party block too since I've already lost a month. Lots to do and plenty of time to do it in. Back to the Juki.


Any ideas on the quilting thread would be helpful.


Happy sewing, quilting or whatever you're doing.

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think if you don't want the quilting to jump out you would use matching thread. A lot of times I want the design of the piecing to be the highlight and the quilting doesn't need to show up as anything more than texture.

Vic H. said...

Up to you...I usually unwrap about a foot of thread and lay it on the area to be quilted to see if I like it....Also, consider that color of your backing. With my Juki, I can get really good tension and can use a different color in the bobbin to match the back. Can't wait to see it done!