Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Oh My

On Saturday a friend brought over a few of the many quilts that have been packed away in boxes that her grandmother, great grandmother and great great grandmother made. This pickle dish quilt all pieced by hand just took my breath away. We forgot to measure it but it is on my 6 foot dining table with some drape all the way around. 



Pickle Dish Quilt
Karen's collection
April 2012

Detail of Pickle Dish quilt

There is a little bit at the top showing the back side of the quilt. I couldn't believe the hours of hand stitching this quilt must have taken. Someone was really stepping out of the box using these colors too. I was determined to find the pattern for this quilt, and not only did I find a pattern I found the paper piecing pattern. Now that, I can do. Not by hand though! 


Extremely old Grandma's Garden Quilt
Karen's collection  April 2012

Another in the collection I was privileged to see. I have always loved this pattern. I think I still have an enlarged version of grandma's garden quilt I started after college. In the garage, in a box, unfinished. I was sewing by hand then because I couldn't afford a sewing machine. I guess I have been doing sewing of some sort since high school. In 2003 is when I started quilting full time.

Now that I have shared these lovelies with you I must return to my binding of the charity quilts, assembling of the dufflebags and thinking about my orange challenge. I finished my journal swap last night but I can't show you until later.

More oldies to come.

Have a good rest of the week!


1 comment:

Kat said...

These are both so beautiful, what a treat to see them. I love that Grandma's Flower Garden kept all the hexies in tact around the edges rather than cutting them in half.